Law Office of Randy Michel
College Station, TX
979-764-2435 or
Menu Contact
View Our Practice Areas

February 2017 Archives

Filling out the FAFSA after a divorce

Texas parents who have college-bound children understandably can have concerns about paying for college. When it comes time to fill out financial aid forms, it is important for divorced or divorcing parents to know what information must be provided. As explained by U.S. Department of Education's office of Federal Student Aid, knowing what must be provided on a financial aid form has as much if not more to do with where parents live than it does their legal married status.

Will divorce affect your teacher's pension?

Teachers who are married are often used to the daily struggle of trying to balance work with their personal relationships at home. Advice columns galore provide suggestions about how to "leave work at work" and give your spouse and children your undivided attention once you exit the classroom. Sometimes, marriage just doesn't work out, and couples choose to divorce rather than continue in a downward spiral.

How do courts assign spousal maintenance?

Are you facing an impending divorce in Texas and think you may be on the hook to pay alimony to your spouse? Perhaps you believe you should receive alimony from your spouse after you are divorced. Either way, you will want to have an understanding of Texas laws in this area as alimony, also referred to as spousal maintenance, is not always granted as part of a divorce decree.

Guardianship legal requirements

A guardianship in Texas may be granted to someone to take care of minor children or an individual who is otherwise unable to take care of him or herself or to act on behalf of someone who is unable to do so him or herself. According to the Office of the Governor, guardianship requests begin with an application. Then, depending on the situation, there may be further documentation required. The whole situation is done with the best interest in mind of the person who will become the ward of the guardian.

Our Location

Law Office of Randy Michel
232 Southwest Parkway East
College Station, TX 77840

Phone: 979-314-2965
Phone: 979-764-2435
Fax: 979-764-2436
Map & Directions


How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.