Law Office of Randy Michel
College Station, TX
979-764-2435 or
Menu Contact
View Our Practice Areas

May 2017 Archives

Is it too late to mediate?

Divorces can get messy, and as a couple splitting up in College Station, you may wonder if you have passed the point of being able to mediate your divorce instead of taking it directly to court. While mediation is certainly not always a viable option, it may be more feasible than you think.

Guidelines for choosing a child guardian

Texas parents who are putting together their estate plans while their kids are still minors must wrestle with the often difficult choice of who will raise their children should the parents die while the kids are still at home. Many things contribute to making this a hard decision but that should not stop people from identifying this lest they leave it up to the courts, as Parenting magazine explains.

QDROs and death benefits

Texas residents who are getting divorced certainly have many decisions to make about their divorce settlement. However, nailing down the particulars of a divorce decree is hardly sufficient and leaves many things potentially unfinished. For example, most married people name their spouses as their primary beneficiaries for things like life insurance or other survivor's benefits. They are also quite likely to be the primary beneficiaries of any assets in a will or a trust. So, when a marriage ends, it may be important that these documents and designations are updated.

QDROs and child support

Texas parents who must pay child support after getting divorced often find themselves concerned about how they might be able to afford this additional expense. The shift to living as a single person versus as part of a married couple generally already increases one's living costs and the addition of child support payments can put a serious strain on a monthly budget. The use of money from a 401K account may provide an opportunity to satisfy this debt.

The ins and outs of spousal support

If you are going through the divorce process, whether in Texas or elsewhere, it is okay to ask questions if you have any. For example, if you think you are eligible to receive spousal support but are unsure, the only way you will know for sure is if you ask your legal counsel.

Do I need to update my will or trust?

If you are one of the many Texas residents who has already created a will or even a revocable trust, you may well feel that your estate planning work is done. Certainly you should feel good about having taken the time and effort to put these types of plans in place. However, you should not think that your work is completely done. There can be many situations and changes in life that make it important for you to make changes to your estate plan.

Our Location

Law Office of Randy Michel
232 Southwest Parkway East
College Station, TX 77840

Phone: 979-314-2965
Phone: 979-764-2435
Fax: 979-764-2436
Map & Directions


How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.